Slovenia | Canyoning
Slovenia is an outdoor adventure paradise with more than 10.000 km hiking trails and tons of adrenaline boosting activities.
Popular regions in Slovenia
Why to go Canyoning in Slovenia?
Why Slovenia and not other places?
Slovenia's undistributed natural environment, high mountains with breathtaking panorama, lonely hiking trails, impressive alpine lakes and crystal clear rivers provide wide variety of multi adventure activities to active adrenaline hunters. Search, find and book day or multi-day tours, combine adventure activities, such as mountain biking, rafting, river kayaking, canyoning, hiking and rock climbing. You will be safe in the hand of professional operators gained considerable experiences directly from the field.
- The Solkal Bridge is the World's longest stone-arch brigde railway, 220 meters long and features 4533 stone blocks
- There are more than 500 brown bears living in the forests
- There are more than 10000 caves in Slovenia
- You can spend a night in a former millitary prison cell at Hostel Celica
- More than 61% of the total land area is covered by forests
- Slovenia has almost 27000 kilometers of rivers and streams
- You can visit the World's largest Ski Jump
- Highest Mountain is Triglav (2 864 meters)
- Land area is 20,273 km2 (7,827 square miles)
- Largest Lake in Slovania is Lake Cerknica
- Hayracks are a unique cultural symbol of Slovenia
- 4000 years ago the Ljubljannsko Barje Nature Park was a lake that was home to pile-dwellers
What are the Visa requirements to Slovenia?
Slovenia is party to the Schengen Agreement. This means that EU and EEA (European Economic Area) citizens have the right to enjoy free movement within the Union. A visa-exemption is also given to people who travel from the countries that are in the visa waiver program (for example US citizens) This category of travelers can stay within the Schengen Area for up to 90 days for tourist or business purposes without a visa. Your passport should be valid for at least three months beyond the period of stay.
Best season to visit Slovenia?
The best outdoor activity season runs from June till October when all of the mountain huts and resting places (almost 200) are open for hikers. The rest of the year might bring significant snowfall and the highest mountains in Slovenia wait for the experienced mountaineers. Slovenia offers plenty of nice and less demanding hiking, biking, rafting, kayaking, canyoning and rock climbing options throughout the whole year.
What are the best outdoor adventure activities in Slovenia?
TOP 3 adventure activities include:
- Rafting down the crystal-clear Soca River (Soča River)
- Hiking the Julian Alps in Triglav National Park
- Bike downhill from the mountains around Kranjska Gora with amazing panorama and trails of all difficulties
Why to do canyoning in Slovenia?
Canyoning is an amusing, energetic and unique way to discover the wild nature, since most of the canyons are hidden from the casual glance of normal visitors to Slovenia. This is an extreme water sport, traversing narrow channels, jumping over small waterfalls into crystal clear river pools, sliding on natural chutes and sliding through powerful falls with a rope will require the best from you and give a lifetime adrenaline-boosting adventure experience.
Which is the best canyoning season in Slovenia?
Soča River is officially open for all kind of water sports from mid-March through August and so do the other rivers. Most of the companies engaged in canyoning operate from late spring through summer, and some of them until late October. We recommend you April-October period as a general timeframe for canyoning in Slovenia.
Which is the best canyoning place in Slovenia?
The venues suitable for canyoning are usually hidden narrow gorges in unspoilt natural environment. The most popular places for canyoning are the gorges Sušec, Mlinarica and Fratarca near the Soča Valley and Grmečica , Mostnica and Jerečica near Lake Bohinj. Your choice will be determined by only your level of experience.
What equipment is needed for canyoning?
In case you are headed for canyoning in Slovenia, you will need a wet-suite, climbing harness helmet and shoes. You don't need to worry about the equipment, since all the necessary high quality equipment will be provided if you manage your canyoning adventure via experienced guide and/or operator.